Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Spiderman 3 - Minor spoiler alert

Okay, now for some real important earth-shattering stuff: Spiderman 3. I'm a big fan of superhero movies and Spiderman has been one of my favorites. I thought I'd write my review of the movie since I finally got a chance to see it yesterday. Bottom line — I liked it. I don't think it was as good a movie as the first two Spidey flicks but it was fun.

Bad points:
1. It did move a little slow at times
2. Kirsten Dunst
3. Kirsten Dunst sings twice
4. Kirsten Dunst
5. Kirsten Dunst
6. The scenes where Peter Parker was showing his dark side and disco dancing on the streets were overdone
7. Kirsten Dunst
8. Maybe too many story line arcs
9. Kirsten Dunst
10. Kirsten Dunst sings twice

Good points:
1. Visual effects were amazing
2. Venom was cool, I would have liked to see him more though
3. I liked Thomas Haden Church as the Sandman. He simply was good in the part. Some people think that maybe the movie didn't even need the Sandman character as a story line arc but hey, he was there and he was good.

The main thing I liked, and this is probably because I am a Christian, are the themes of forgiveness and redemption in the movie. Harry Osborne forgives Peter in the end and is redeemed by his sacrifice for his friend. The Sandman asks for forgiveness and Peter Parker gives it to him. That scene was very powerful and it was very cool how Tobey Mcguire protrayed the heavy weight of his hatred and unforgiveness being lifted.

Maybe I wouldn't have liked it as much if I wasn't a Christian, I don't know. But it was a good movie to me. I recommend it.

P.S. I've heard some people in online reviews complaining about the butler, Bernard. They wonder where he came from all of a sudden. Go back and watch the first two movies, he was there. He didn't have a large part but he was there, even the same actor.

P.P.S. This probably doesn't come across above but I'm not a big fan of Kirsten Dunst. ;->

4 comments:

Ken said...

Sing with me...

"Spiderman, Spiderman, why are you dating her, Spiderman?"

Kirsten Dunst... I can't figure it out. Is it her, or is it the character she plays? Either way, she was REALLY whiny in this movie... "you never think of me, it's always about you, blah, blah, BLAH"... SHUT UP... he's out saving people every day while you sing and brood.

But I'm with you - the themes of redemption and grace were really cool to see in this movie. Nice to see...

Oh yeah, I liked how Topher Grace played the new photographer/Venom. But I have to admit - Venom's head/face looked a little weird to me.

Anyway...

"Spiderman, Spiderman, why don't you dump her, Spiderman?"

After all, the new girl's a hottie. Richie Cunningham's little girl has grown UP!

Ken said...

Mark,

I just saw Spiderman 3 - again - except this time it was on IMAX. Can you say, "WOW"???

Kirsten's character was still frustrating, but the action scenes were amazing on the ginormous screen... incredible.

Later,
Ken

Unknown said...

wow it's like we're related or something...

i emensly dislike kirsten dunst. enough said. =D

Anonymous said...

Mark,
My wife and I are planning on moving to the Boston area so that I can pursue an MDiv at GCTS. I came across some of your comments on the Seminary Bound blog and would love to talk with you further about your experience at GCTS so far. My wife and I are actually going up there to visit for the first time later this week.

Best regards,

Lynn M. Dunston
lynnandnatalie@yahoo.com